Monday, October 5, 2009

Range FAQ

NOTE: When experiencing problems with any appliance, the first thing the customer should do is check to see that there is power going to the unit by checking the breaker box.

Why are the burners on my gas stove slow to light?

The air holes on the side of the burner that faces the center of the stove may be clogged. They help the pilot or spark igniter to light the gas. Try cleaning the holes with a toothpick.

There is a red glow in my oven, but it isn't heating. Why?

Most modern gas ovens and many broilers use a "glow-bar" style of igniter that glows red-hot to ignite the gas. If the igniter doesn't reach the proper temperature, the gas valve won't open. You may need to replace the igniter.

How do I use the self-cleaning feature on my oven?

Every self-cleaning oven is different. It's best to consult the owner's manual for the correct procedure for your oven. But often the steps are:

1. Set the start time for the time you want the cleaning to begin.
2. Set the stop time to a time 2-3 hours after the start time.
3. Close and latch the oven door.
4. Set the selector switch and/or thermostat to "clean."

Why won't my clock keep the correct time?

If your clock consistently gains or loses time, you'll have to replace the clock if you want to have the correct time. Such clocks aren't repairable.

Why won't my oven heat to the proper temperature?

If you have a gas oven, see "There is a red glow in my oven, but it isn't heating. Why?"

Should I leave the oven door open when broiling?

Maybe. Many ovens have the broiler built into the oven near the top. If this is true for your unit, it may be best to leave the oven door open a few inches. If the broiler is at the bottom--in a drawer--you can leave the door closed.

Is it normal for my electric burners and oven heating element to glow bright red?

Yes. Electric burners and heating elements glow red--or bright red--when set to one of the higher settings.

My surface burners work, but I can't get my oven or broiler to work. Why?

You may have inadvertently set the clock knob to Automatic. If your clock has a button that says "Push for Man," "Push for Manual," or something similar, try pushing the switch or knob back to manual operation.

Why does my oven smell so much during self-cleaning?

Ovens reach extremely high temperatures (800 to 1,000 degrees) during the self-clean cycle--to incinerate the grease, food splatterings, and drippings inside the oven. When all of that burns, it can smell pretty bad. Make sure you have good ventilation in the room where the oven is--at least when using the self-cleaning feature.

How do I convert my gas oven/range to LP gas?

Most gas appliances can be converted to LP gas. Often the small items needed to convert the appliance are already with the appliance itself.

Can I use oven cleaner on my self-cleaning oven?

Most manufacturers recommend not using oven cleaner on self-cleaning ovens. Check your owner’s manual for specific details.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Once your comment is approved, it will be displayed. Thank you for your patience.

Copyright 2009 TransGlobal Service.